Glacier Nordic Center provides two distinctly different nordic ski experiences in Whitefish: A popular 13 km golf course system and a more challenging 10 km in Haskill Basin in cooperation with Whitefish Mountain Resort. West of town the Flathead National Forest grooms 20 km.
Dogs are permitted except on the Whitefish golf course. Please clean up their poop!
Additional nordic ski areas in Flathead County include:
- Blacktail Mountain Nordic-19 km, dog friendly
- Herron Park/Foys to Blacktail Trails- dog friendly
- Flathead Valley Community College- 8 km, no dogs
- Bigfork Community Nordic- 7 km, no dogs
- Izaak Walton Inn- 33 km, No dogs
- Whitefish Trail Big Mountain Trailhead- 5.5 miles with access to additional 23 km, dog friendly sections
Best Times to Go
Snow conditions at lower elevation ski areas are increasingly marginal. Haskill Basin is a snow refugia in a warming climate, a refrigerator kept cool by a mid-elevation ridgeline protecting the southern flank. Blacktail Mountain Nordic also is a mid-elevation zone with an east-facing aspect with typically deep snow. Izaak Walton trails are tucked in deep timber on a north-facing aspect. These are the region's most challenging groomed trails, and they hold snow longer than other trails in the Flathead, generally available December - April.