The 41st annual winter carnival honours the legendary Griz Mountain Man and celebrates the season's snow. Events include a parade, hockey tournament, skiing, a craft fair and other festive events in historic downtown Fernie and at Fernie Alpine Resort. Held each winter since 1978, the festival celebrates the community's connection to winter and the legendary mountain man, the Griz - a hero in these parts - who with the help of his musket helps coax snow from the sky, gracing the region with an astounding annual snowfall averaging more than 29 feet annually. A highlight of Fernie's winter Griz Days festival is the Dummy Downhill Race. This competition is strictly for fun, featuring imaginative and hilarious 'dummies' on skis launching themselves off a gigantic jump.
Additional highlights include:
- Annual Snow Ball: A dance party featuring several local and visiting bands
- Pub Crawl Friday (Sign up)
- Downtown Celebrations including Griz Parade, live music on outdoor stage and fireworks on Saturday
- Raging Elk Dummy Dowhill
- Cask Night at Fernie Brewing Co.
- Pancake Breakfast
- Extreme Griz Competition - great for participants and spectators alike
- Rocky Mountain Lumberjack Show
- Nordic Club Snow to Ice Challenge
- Baby Griz Crawl
- Griz Days Craft Fair