A short and pleasant detour at the transition from flatlands to front ranges.
- Arlee Pow wow and Fourth of July Celebration | Arlee, Montana
- Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump, World Heritage Site | Fort Macleod, Alberta
- Lewis & Clark Festival | Great Falls, Montana
- The Nature Conservancy of Canada's Waterton Park Front | Alberta, Canada
- International Peace Pow Wow | Lethbridge, Alberta
Starting Milemarker or TownLundbreck, Alberta
Points of Interest and Highlights along the Drive
Preciously imitating Niagra, little Lundbreck Falls divides at its precipice into a straight-line "American" side and a horseshoe-shaped "Canadian" side. Like its big mentor, Lundbreck Falls plunges into a foaming pool that exits through a tight gorge.
The pleasant difference is scale and accessibility. After absorbing the panorama from above, visitors can safely descend from the fenced observation area to the plunge pool and gorge below. In mid-summer, a busy colony of cliff swallows flutter about their limestone high-rise. Anglers can wade into the gorge itself, while bridge-watchers may admire the concrete arch spanning the Crowsnest River as it recovers its poise.
From Highway 3 exit south on Highway 3A (N49 35.470 W114 10.764) and continue through the provincial campground to the parking and observation area at Lundbreck Falls (GPS N49 34.997 W114 12.477). After your visit, continue west on Highway 3A to its reunion with Highway 3 (N49 34.944 W114 13.310).