Locally owned and operated by the Baker family, Waterton Outdoor Adventures has been guiding people around the Rocky Mountains for over three decades. They are partners with the Tamarack, Waterton's Outdoor Store and hiking information centre. The company was originally started by Brian and his wife Lauren, and began as a simple tour company taking people to view the majestic sunsets around Waterton Lakes National Park. Flash forward to 2018 and their daughter Kelley runs the company and has expanded into hiking, interpretive walks, yoga and scrambling the mountains that surround the town they call home.
Types of Experiences and Trips Provided
- Day Hikes and Treks - Our standard hiking trips, anywhere from 1- 8 hours and tailored to any activity level.
- Nature Walk and Talk - Learn more about what makes Waterton so amazing while strolling around easy to access areas.
- Scenic Interpretive Drives - Interpretive driving tours around the Park, with light walking and interpretive stops that are great for the photographer in the family!
- Trail Running in the Rockies - Viewing the mountain scenery at a faster pace, while running on some of our beautiful hiking trails.
- Nature Yoga - Relax your mind and body in one of our Yoga classes, or combine with a short hike to get the best of both worlds!
- Hikers Shuttles - Get to the trailhead without having to worry about driving! We can drop you off and pick you up from anywhere in Waterton.
Local Knowledge & Certifications/Training
- All guides are certified by Parks Canada and the Interpretive Guides Association of Canada. They hold Wilderness Level First Aid as well as training in Group Management.
- Most of guides have been raised in these mountains and have their own special connection to Waterton. Favourite lookouts, photo spots and other “secrets” are what sets guides apart. They live in these mountains and love showing them off.
Waterton Outdoor Adventures teaches and preaches Leave No Trace. By setting a good example and teaching others to support these practices they are helping make their footprint on this land a little smaller. They also promote refillable water bottles and water filters, and try to encourage people to minimize their single-use plastic use. Hiker shuttles to trailheads around Waterton are offered and they encourage carpooling whenever possible to minimize our environmental impact.
The Bakers have been members of the Waterton Community for over 80 years. They currently sit on a variety of Community Initiative boards such as the Waterton Community Association and the local government board. They shop at and support other local businesses in the area. Hiker lunches are acquired from local restaurants and food growers whenever possible and they donate trips and gear to charitable causes throughout the year.
Favorite Trip Story
Travelling up to Vimy peak with all the guides to celebrate Canada Day! Waterton Oudoor Adventures flew the flag from 2400 metres (7800 feet) and celebrated the great white north with pride! Kelley says she loves showing people the mountains that she grew up in, especially when they have never experienced the Rockies before. “We live in such a unique area, I feel such a sense of pride when I get to share it with people from all over the world.”